Oh little buttercup, this is a post and a series for all the girls who can't remember. You've got your moments, but I can tell from the way you talk that the little details are gone, zippo, forgotten. I wonder about memory and time and why things fade for one person and not for another, why my life and my past are so vivid, why it seems like I've forgotten almost nothing, including all my teachers names, like Mrs. Lowder who taught me typing and Mrs. McCray, my kindergarten teacher, who called me on the day I graduated from college. I remember the first day I walked into her class. I remember how I used to try to run out of first grade and throw up all the time. I remember my mother painting our house when I was three, and what her face looked like the day I left for college. I remember the smell of our house and the noises at night when the bats would fly down by your shoulder late at night in the swimming pool.
There are lots of categories to put the details in...lots of cookie jar sneaking around, lots of dances in Wonder Woman Under-roos, but I broke down some details into categories:
5 Little Nasty Things I Did:
1. Snuck into the elementary school and wrote "Go to Hell" on all the chalkboards
2. Was a mean girl to one girl who just friended me on Facebook
3. "Smoked" crayolas in my mother's station wagon and gunked up her lighter
4. Stomped on a 4th grader's balls
5. Told friends the truth about sex and Santa Claus
5 Places I Hid
1. In the field behind my house until I figured out that it cut through to the park
2. In the woods across the street until someone mysteriously chopped down a tree
3. Under Mom's bed until the kittens started pooping there
4. In the front closet with an old prosthetic leg until I wished I could wear it
5. The shed until I saw a black widow
5 Things I Rejected Because My Brothers Liked Them
1. Monty Python
2. Dungeons and Dragons
3. Electric guitar solos
5. Star Trek
5 Things I Loved
1. Pennies on the bottom of the pool
2. Slumber party choreography
3. One-legged rollerskating
4. Barbies with Real Sex Lives
5. Prank Phone Calls
6. Good Times (the TV show)
5 Things I Wrote in My 10-year old journal
1. "I've almost finished FOREVER by Judy Blume."
2. "I just got a permanent."
3. "All I want for my birthday is Garfield, Garfield, Garfield."
4. "I've gained so much weight it's made me sick."
5. "Right now I'm watching LIFESTYLES OF THE RICH AND FAMOUS."
5 Best Places to Watch Thunderstorms
1. Mrs. Cooke's carport with her shaky dog, Roscoe
2. The front porch with Nancy Drew and a lawnchair
4. The back porch with Coke and potato chips
5. My bed with Spiderman