Five things I can tell you about the past 50 days:
1. I have a venue now for the Edinburgh Festival Fringe. The waiting to hear about my applications made me feel 18 again, and not in a good way. It's all "sorted out" as they say, and I am relieved and pleased (damn excited, really). From August 2 -- 27, I'm going to be performing Dirty Barbie with Assembly at Assembly Hall:
2. We have a place to stay. A flat, as they say, with a yellow kitchen and a tea kettle and a french press and an iron and very high ceilings. We'll be staying in the Marchmont neighborhood and the streets look like this:
3. I started an online fundraising campaign. I'm having to learn on the spot to be bold about asking for financial help with this very personal dream of mine. Watch this: "Please consider giving to my Dirty Barbie Goes to Edinburgh Campaign...it's tax deductible and there are cool perks." People have already been incredibly, spontaneously generous. I'm keeping very good records, writing everything down. I've split the budget...half of it I'm trying to raise and the other half I'm earning through performances and teaching workshops and selling some gold. My campaign corresponded nicely with an article that came out through The University of Virginia Magazine. Here is a little video:
4. New York, New York...speaking of personal dreams. I'm happy to announce that Dirty Barbie will be at 59E59 in NYC on July 10, 11, 12, 14 (all shows at 9 p.m.) as a part of their "East to Edinburgh" Festival. I have nothing to wear.
5. I just went to the eye doctor for the first time in 11 years. Crap -- I really needed reading glasses. The words on this screen look HUGE and CLEAR. I had no idea. Good thing, buckos, as there are tons more details to work out, travel plans to make, thank you notes to write, forms to fill out, and new material to write.