|view from the backyard|
2. Auditions were Monday and Tuesday…The Sugar has been cast. I still want one more pass at the script before they begin rehearsing on the 24th, but I better hurry up. Talked to Epp this afternoon. Foolishly, I called right at the end of UNC beating Pittsburgh. I really do know better. He called me back. I will rewrite last Louise and Sally scene by tomorrow night.
3. Theresa Davis moved me and thrilled me when she came in to teach a guest lecture on Joe Turner's Come and Gone for Drama 1010. Much more indelible to me than the snowstorm, dancing with her…watching her work.
|right before the dancing started or why no one pays me to take pictures|
4. It was a beautiful storm. Reason #39 why I have to write a movie that includes M in it is because when I went to shovel her sidewalk on Thursday night, she came to the door in her red robe and yelled out:
"What are you doing?"
"Are you going to charge me?"
"Where do you live?"
Crotchety and funny trump sweet any day. She's never trying to be funny, and after 11 years of living 3 doors down, she still doesn't know who I am. If someone nicknamed me the "Mad Shoveler", I wouldn't mind a bit.
5. Since Tuesday, I have total faith in the face of the future. Taught an improv workshop with 12 sixth graders this week as a part of the Live Arts Teen Theatre Festival.
Twisted and talkative, they had me at "Let's go watch some babies eating babies." From a pool of acid with sharks with machine guns to a short brand new play on "Expert Belly Dancing" that included these instructions: 1) rub pimento cheese all over your body and then 2) gyrate your core in a provocative manner, I feel confident pressing onward to a bright, demented new day.
6. Recorded interviews for Dirty Barbie. The hallway at the radio station smelled like coffee. Load-in at Four County Players is tomorrow. Friday is opening night.
|Sherry Taylor from 95.1|
|Brad Savage from 106.1|
7. Oh, if only the world were like the Hair Cuttery where high lights and low lights are both good things.
8. It's been a Matthew McConaughey week: True Detective (brilliant!!), Dallas Buyers Club, and Dazed and Confused. Controlling myself not to watch Lincoln Lawyer again. Need to space it out.
9. The only eavesdropped conversation that sticks with me this week: two sweaty ladies who were questioning the gentleman behind the counter at the gym. I didn't hear him answer.
"He went to Ohio."
"You went to Cold Ohio?"
"Where did you go in Ohio?"
10. More than Matthew McConaughey, I'm into Kitchen King.
11. Kris called me at 6:15am (her time) to talk about my snow. We're both morning people. I miss my sister. Even after talking to her for an hour. I picture her in the morning with wet hair and her coffee…just as she stood there in 1981. A senior in high school. Leaning against the cabinets, her hair long and wet, drinking black coffee. I always miss my sister.
end note: here's another post I wrote about snow.